Ironbound Elite is seeking families interested in participating in a billet program for the 2020-2021 season. “Billeting” is a hockey tradition that provides elite players from outside the Metropolitan area the opportunity to join the Ironbound Elite hockey program by living with a host family. Previous host families have included traditional 2-parent families, single-parent families, as well as "empty nesters".
Through the billet program, host families welcome dedicated athletes into their homes by providing a comfortable, accommodating, safe, and secure environment, which allows the athlete to continue her development and training during the season. Many families have found it easier to house two players, as they then travel together and are company for each other. Participating in the billeting program can be a rewarding experience for all parties - the bonds formed between a host family and billet player often continue after the player has moved on to the next level of hockey and into the later stages of young adulthood.
Billet Family Responsibilities
Ironbound Elite appreciates the commitment, sacrifice, and dedication provided by our billet families. Each season we are looking for new families to join our “Ironbound Family”, and provide a great home for one of our players as you welcome them into your family.
Host families should:
- Provide a safe and friendly environment that will allow the player to continue their development both on and off the ice.
- Provide the player with their own bedroom (or shared bedroom with a second billet player) including the basic necessities (bed, desk/chair, closet space, etc.) Players are expected to provide bed and bath linens, personal care items, cell phones, media equipment.
- Nutritious food for 3 meals a day or the ability to prepare their own food. A monthly stipend is paid to help cover your player’s grocery expenses.
- Access to standard household amenities (bathroom, internet, TV, washer/dryer, etc.)
- Transportation for practices and games. Some players can take care of their own transportation needs - some have their own vehicle.
- Have home available to the billet player for length of the season or school year based, as agreed upon by billet player and host family.
- House rules for billet player to follow.
- Adhere to all team and house rules and show respect and consideration toward all family members.
- Players may go home for weekends if their schedule permits. The hockey season begins in August and ends in April.
- Players should pay a monthly billeting payment for each player ($500 per month) to their host family.
Ironbound Hockey appreciates the commitment, sacrifice, and dedication provided by our billet families. Each season we are looking for new families to join our “Ironbound Family”, and provide a great home for one of our players as you welcome them into your family. If you are interested in becoming a host family, please fill out the form on the following page. Please feel free to email us with any questions - email@example.com . We will get back to you in a timely manner and be available to answer additional questions and discuss the program further as needed.